Symptoms of P2181 OBD II Trouble Code
- The engine temperature gauge indicates a higher or lower than normal temperature. If the vehicle has no temperature gauge it will have a "red" temperature warning light, which means the engine is already overheating and must be shut down immediately.
- In the event the gauge is faulty or goes unnoticed, an overheating engine will cause the coolant to boil producing steam, the radiator/tank will overflow, and in the critical stages the engine will begin to knock, lose power and finally seize.
- If the engine is running cold, the fuel mixture will be rich, resulting in poor fuel economy, the heater will not function well and the temperature gauge will indicate colder than normal. All engines are designed to expand to a predetermined point as they heat up. It is critical to maintain the proper operating temperature for proper sealing of the piston rings.
Common Causes of P2181 OBD II Trouble Code
- Temperature scan tool
- Set of alligator jaw jumper wires
- Scan tool to clear the codes
- Coolant system pressure tester
- Service manual