5. Pull the rest of the shoulder belt all the way out of
the retractor to set the lock.
6. If the vehicle does not have a rear seat and the
child restraint manufacturer recommends using a
top tether anchor, attach the top tether to the
top tether anchor. Refer to the instructions that
came with the child restraint and to Lower Anchors
and Tethers for Children (LATCH) on page 1-45.
7. To tighten the belt, push down on the child restraint,
pull the shoulder portion of the belt to tighten the
lap portion of the belt and feed the shoulder
belt back into the retractor. When installing a
forward-facing child restraint, it might be helpful to
use your knee to push down on the child restraint
as you tighten the belt.
8. Tighten the top tether. See Lower Anchors and
Tethers for Children (LATCH) on page 1-45.
9. Push and pull the child restraint in different
directions to be sure it is secure.