Date of issue 06/02 Amended 07/02 Bulletin Number XT501-05 Page 1 of 2
Sliding Roof Does Not Close Properly/
Bounces Open – Loss Of Calibration –
Replace Sliding Roof Motor
On some 2002 MY X-TYPE vehicles within the above VIN range, customers may
experience a condition where the sliding roof may not shut properly and ‘bounces’ open
when the closed position is reached. Symptoms can become apparent if the ignition is
switched off when the sliding roof is in motion.
The sliding roof can be re-calibrated, but the fault can recur. A permanent service fix is
to replace the sliding roof motor. A software change in the new (smart) sliding roof
motor eliminates this concern, as the position of the sliding roof is continuously stored.
On a customer complaint basis only, follow the workshop procedure below.
SLIDING ROOF MOTOR REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE
1. Remove overhead console (see Workshop Manual, JTIS CD ROM, section: 501-
2. Remove sliding roof opening panel motor securing bolts.
3. Disconnect sliding roof opening panel motor electrical connector.
4. Connect electrical connector to new sliding roof opening panel motor.
5. Install sliding roof opening panel motor securing bolts and tighten to 3 Nm.
6. Install overhead console (see Workshop Manual, JTIS CD ROM, section: 501-12).
SLIDING ROOF LEARNING PROCEDURE
1. Press the front of the sliding roof rocker switch and hold it until the roof has
tilted open fully.
Note: Sliding roof moves to fully tilted position and stops.
2. Release the switch.
3. Press the front of the sliding roof rocker switch again and continue to hold it
until the sliding roof panel briefly pops up higher.
4. Release the switch.
Remove and destroy Bulletin XT501-05, dated 06/02.
Replace with this Bulletin.
Revisions are marked with a bar and in bold text.