Date of issue 04/02 Amended 10/03 Bulletin Number XT501-04 Page 1 of 6
Some owners of 2002 MY X-TYPE vehicles within the above VIN ranges may complain
about difficulty closing the luggage compartment lid latch and/or about the feel quality of
the latch mechanism. A revised trunk lid latch is now available that can be retrofitted.
In case of a customer complaint of the above condition on a 2002 MY X-TYPE within
the above VIN range, perform the following modification procedure.
LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT LATCH MODIFICATION
1. Open hood and fit fender protector covers.
2. Open luggage compartment.
3. Disconnect vehicle battery (Refer to Battery Disconnect procedure, JTIS CD ROM
Warning: After the battery has been disconnected, wait for one
minute for the air bag system to disarm.
4. Remove luggage compartment lid pull-down handle securing screws.
5. Remove and discard luggage compartment pull-down handle.
6. Remove luggage compartment interior release handle and place aside.
7. Remove luggage compartment latch trim finisher.
8. Remove luggage compartment lid lock.
Difficulty Closing Luggage Compartment Lid –
Revised Latch Mechanism –
Remove and destroy Bulletin XT501-04, amended 05/02.
Replace with this Bulletin.
Revisions are marked with a bar and in bold text.