Date of issue 9/97 Bulletin Number 307-02 Page 1 of 1
9/97V8 Sedan & XK8
1997 MY-ON XK8 Range
1998 MY-ON V8 Sedan NA
Checking Fluid Level –
ZF 5HP 24 E –
This bulletin provides a more detailed procedure for checking the transmission fluid level.
To check the transmission fluid level accurately, proceed as follows:
1. Position the vehicle on a level surface and let the vehicle stand for at least 2 minutes.
2. At the PDU base station make the following menu selections: DIAGNOSTICS, TOOLBOX,
POWERTRAIN, DATALOGGER. Connect the PDU to the vehicle and ensure that the
transmission is not in limp-home mode and that no DTCs are stored.
3. On the PDU, make the following menu selections: DATALOGGER, TRANSMISSION,
TOT (transmission oil temperature). Check that the transmission temperature is below 30°C
if ambient temperatures allow. Allow to cool if necessary.
NOTE: 30-40°C is the optimum temperature range for checking and filling
transmission fluid. The range of 30-50°C is acceptable: Checking with a
fluid temperature of 30°C represents the maximum fluid fill. Checking with
a fluid temperature of 50°C represent the minimum fluid fill. Once the
engine is running, the transmission fluid heats up rapidly.
4. Have the ATF filling container prepared so you can add fluid immediately after opening the
plug. Start the engine with the transmission in the Park position.
5. Verify that the idle speed in between 600-750 RPM.
6. Move the selector lever from the Park position to the Drive range and pause for 3 seconds.
7. Move the selector lever from the Drive range to the Reverse position and pause for 3
8. Move the selector lever from the Reverse position to the Park positions.
9. Ensure that the fluid temperature has not risen excessively and immediately raise the
vehicle and remove the fluid level/filler plug.
10. Fill with Esso ATF LT 71141 until the fluid begins to overflow from the fluid level/filler
11. Wait at least one minute until the flow of fluid has reduced to a trickle.
12. Reinstall the plug and check the PDU to verify that the fluid temperature has not exceeded