Date of issue 3/99 Bulletin Number 307-10 Page 1 of 3
3/99V8 XJ Series
Supercharged Engine (W5A580 Transmission)
– Oil Seepage From Electrical Connector
– Repair Procedure
Some 1998 MY-ON XJR vehicles may experience seepage of transmission fluid from the area of
the electrical connector on the right side of the transmission case. This bulletin provides a
procedure for replacing the O-ring seals between the connector and transmission casing.
1. Park the vehicle on a suitable lift. Open the hood and install protective covers on the front
2. Raise the lift. Clean the area around the transmission drain plug. Remove the drain-plug
from the transmission fluid pan and allow the fluid to drain into a thoroughly cleaned
container so that it can be reused.
Warning: The fluid may be hot and slightly pressurized.
3. Place a new seal on the drain-plug and reinstall and torque the drain-plug to 22 Nm (16.2 lb.
4. On the right side of the transmission, remove the bolt that retains the heat shield for the
multiplug connector. Remove the heat shield.
5. Rotate the lock ring counterclockwise to release the multiplug connector (Illustration 1).
Disconnect the multiplug.
LOCKING RING OF CONNECTOR