Date of issue 10/99 Amended 02/02 Bulletin Number 310-06 Page 1 of 9
V8 XJ Series/XK8
All Driveability Issues/Engine Non-start –
Carbon Deposits on Throttle Blade –
Cleaning Procedure – AJ26 Engines
Some XK8 and V8 XJ Series vehicles, within the above VIN ranges, may experience a condition
where the throttle body bore and throttle blade become coated with a soft sticky carbon deposit.
This deposit may cause idle/driveability issues, particularly when the part load breather has
become blocked. (See Technical Bulletin 600-03 Service Action S474, which is to be performed
at regular maintenance intervals of 10,000 miles/16,000 Km.)
In case of a customer complaint of non-start or idle/driveability issues on the above vehicles,
clean the throttle blade as follows:
Remove and destroy Bulletin 310-06, amended 06/00.
Replace with this Bulletin.
The throttle body is now removed for cleaning
1997-98 MY XK8 Range
1998 MY V8 XJ Series NA
1998-99 MY XJR
THROTTLE CLEANING PROCEDURE
1. Ensure ignition is OFF and remains OFF throughout the procedure.
2. Open hood and place protective covers on the fenders.
3. Clean part-load breather. (Refer to Technical Bulletin 600-03, Service Action S474).
Note: It is important to clean the part-load breather to ensure that the throttle
body and bore do not become coated in the sticky carbon deposit again.
4. Disconnect vehicle battery.
5. Remove air intake tube/MAFS/cleaner cover assembly.