Date of issue 06/02 Bulletin Number 303-54 Page 1 of 3
06/02V8 XJ Series/XK
1997-2002 MY XK Range
1998-2002 MY V8 XJ Series
Thermostat Stuck Closed –
Revised Thermostat Available
Some V8 engines in XJ and XK vehicles within the above VIN ranges (prior to engine number
0203230140) may experience overheating due to the thermostat sticking in the closed position. A
revised thermostat with a more robust wax bulb is now available.
On a customer complaint basis only, follow the workshop procedure outlined below.
1. Open the hood and place protective covers over the fenders.
2. Raise the vehicle on a lift.
3. Place a suitable tray under the front of the vehicle to catch spillage.
4. Drain the coolant from the radiator.
5. On normally aspirated vehicles only, remove the engine covers.
6. On all vehicles, release and reposition hose clip from thermostat housing coolant pipe.
7. Disconnect and remove the coolant hose from the thermostat housing.
8. Remove thermostat cover bolts (normally aspirated engines, Illustration 1, supercharged
engines, Illustration 2).
THERMOSTAT HOUSING - NORMALLY ASPIRATED ENGINES