?2.5L 4-CYL - VIN [H]
?1988 Jeep Cherokee
1988 CHRYSLER MOTORS ENGINES
Jeep: Cherokee, Comanche, Wagoneer, Wrangler
NOTE: For engine repair procedures not covered in this article,
see ENGINE OVERHAUL PROCEDURES - GENERAL INFORMATION article
in the GENERAL INFORMATION section.
The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is located on the
upper left side of dash, visible through windshield. The fourth
character of the VIN identifies the engine size. The tenth character
identifies the model year.
ENGINE IDENTIFICATION CODES TABLE
Application VIN Code
2.5L 4-Cylinder TBI .................................... H
SPECIAL ENGINE MARKS
Some engines are produced at the factory with oversize or
undersize components. These engines are identified by a letter code
stamped between ignition coil and distributor. Letters are decoded as
* "B" indicates all cylinder bores .010" (.25 mm) oversize.
* "C" indicates all camshaft bearing bores .010" (.25 mm)
* "M" indicates all main bearing journals .010" (.25 mm)
* "P" indicates all connecting rod journals .010" (.25 mm)
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See ENGINE REMOVAL article.
INTAKE & EXHAUST MANIFOLDS
NOTE: Throttle body removal is necessary prior to manifold
removal. Throttle body can be separated from the manifold
and secured in a designated area with vacuum hoses attached.
1) Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove air cleaner, EGR
pipe and PCV hose. Disconnect and mark all vacuum hoses and electrical
connections. Drain cooling system.
2) Remove coolant hoses from intake manifold. Remove A/C
compressor and power steering pump and mounting bracket (if equipped).