Revision: 2005 August 2005 350Z
3. If the measured values are out of the standard, perform adjustment. Refer to EM-116, "ADJUSTMENT" .
? Perform adjustment depending on selected head thickness of valve lifter.
1. Measure the valve clearance. Refer to EM-113, "
2. Remove camshaft. Refer to EM-103, "
3. Remove valve lifters at the locations that are out of the standard.
4. Measure the center thickness of removed valve lifters with a
5. Use the equation below to calculate valve lifter thickness for replacement.
? Thickness of new valve lifter can be identified by stamp marks
on the reverse side (inside the cylinder).
Stamp mark 788U or 788R indicates 7.88 mm (0.3102 in) in
Two types of stamp marks are used for parallel setting and for
Available thickness of valve lifter: 27 sizes with range 7.88 to 8.40 mm (0.3102 to 0.3307 in) in steps of
0.02 mm (0.0008 in) (when manufactured at factory). Refer to EM-172, "
Available Valve Lifter" .
6. Install selected valve lifter.
7. Install camshaft. Refer to EM-107, "
8. Manually turn crankshaft pulley a few turns.
9. Make sure that the valve clearances for cold engine are within the specifications by referring to the speci-
fied values. Refer to EM-113, "
10. Install all removal parts in the reverse order of removal. Refer to EM-107, "
11. Warm up the engine, and check for unusual noise and vibration.
Valve lifter thickness calculation: t = t1 + (C1 ? C2 )
t = Valve lifter thickness to be replaced
1 = Removed valve lifter thickness
1 = Measured valve clearance
2 = Standard valve clearance:
Intake : 0.30 mm (0.012 in)*
Exhaust : 0.33 mm (0.013 in)*
*: Approximately 20°C (68°F)