When disassembling or assembling the automatic
transmission, observe the following instructions.
Provide a place that is clean and free from dust.
Principally the conventional workshop is suitable
except for a dusty place. In a workshop where
grinding work, etc. which produces fine particles is
done, make independent place divided by the vinyl
curtain or the equivalent.
2) Work table
The size of 1 x 1.5 m (40 x 60 in) is large enough
to work, and it is more desirable that its surface be
covered with flat plate like iron plate which is not
rusted too much.
3) Cleaning of exterior
(1) Clean the exterior surface of transmission
with steam and/or kerosene prior to
disassembly, however it should be noted that
vinyl tape be placed on the air breather or oil
level gauge to prevent infiltration of the steam
into the transmission and also the cleaning job
be done away from the place of disassembly
(2) Partial cleaning will do, depending on the
extent of disassembly (such as when disassem-
bly is limited to some certain parts).
4) Disassembly, assembly and cleaning
(1) Disassemble and assemble the transmis-
sion while inspecting the parts in accordance
with the Diagnostics.
(2) During job, do not use gloves. Do not clean
the parts with rags: Use chamois or nylon cloth.
(3) Pay special attention to the air to be used
for cleaning. Get the moisture and the dust rid
of the air as much as possible. Be careful not to
scratch or dent any part while checking for
proper operation with an air gun.
(4) Complete the job from cleaning to comple-
tion of assembly as continuously and speedily
as possible in order to avoid occurrence of sec-
ondary troubles caused by dust. When stopping
the job unavoidably cover the parts with clean
chamois or nylon cloth to keep them away from
(5) Use kerosene, white gasoline or the equiva-
lent as washing fluid. Use always new fluid for
cleaning the automatic transmission parts and
never reuse. The used fluid is usable in disas-
semble and assemble work of engine and
(6) Although the cleaning should be done by
dipping into the washing fluid or blowing of the
pressurized washing fluid, the dipping is more
desirable. (Do not rub with a brush.) Assemble
the parts immediately after the cleaning without
exposure to the air for a while. Besides in case
of washing rubber parts, perform the job quickly
not to dip them into the washing fluid for long
(7) Apply the automatic transmission fluid
(ATF) onto the parts immediately prior to
assembly, and the specified tightening torque
should be observed carefully.
(8) Use vaseline if it is necessary to hold parts
in the position when assembling.
(9) Drain ATF and differential gear oil into a
saucer so that the conditions of fluid and oil can
(10) Do not support axle drive shaft, stator
shaft, input shaft or various pipes when moving
transmission from one place to another.
(11) Always discard old oil seals and O-ring,
and install new ones.
(12) Be sure to replace parts which are
damaged, worn, scratched, discolored, etc.
1. ATF LEVEL
1) Raise ATF temperature to 60 to 80°C (140 to
176°F) from 40 to 60°C (104 to 140°F) (when cold)
by driving a distance of 5 to 10 km (3 to 6 miles).
The level of ATF varies with fluid temperature. Pay
attention to the fluid temperature when checking oil
(A) ATF level gauge
(B) Upper level
(C) Lower level
2) Make sure the vehicle is level. After selecting all
positions (P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1), set the select leveler
in ?P? range. Measure fluid level with the engine
After running, idle the engine for one or two min-
utes before measurement.
[W1B1] 3-2SERVICE PROCEDURE