2006 model year
• Premium compact, four door saloon, in Volvo's
Saloon Range (S40, S60,
• Revolutionary interior with unique, ultra-thin centre stack with display and
menu system to personalise locking functions and audio settings.
• Higher standard specifications than most other premium brand rivals.
• Volvo safety standards, inc WHIPS, SIPS, DSTC, IC, etc.
• Four and five cylinder engines available; petrol and diesel from 1.6-litre.
• High quality Performance, High Performance and Premium audio systems –
with Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound™ available.
• RTI satellite navigation now available with RDS-TMC.
• Healthier Oeko-Tex standard compliant, emissions-free interior.
With dynamic design, quality and class-leading safety, the Volvo S40 saloon is a
true Volvo and one that asserts a unique identity in the growing premium compact
Boasting a four-door bodyshell in a sector currently dominated by three or five-
door alternatives, it will appeal to a new set of younger customers who demand a
car that combines the practicality of a four door saloon with the style, comfort and
refinement afforded by a premium marque.
“Premium car buyers might opt for a smaller model, but they won’t accept
compromises,” said Hans-Olov Olsson, the CEO and President of Volvo Car
Corporation at the S40's launch at the Frankfurt motor show in September 2003.
"Thankfully, with the new Volvo S40, they won’t have to."
The S40 is available in S, Sport, SE and SE Sport trim levels, with engines ranging
from 1.6-litre petrol and diesel to the high-performance five-cylinder T5, and since
it arrived in UK showrooms in early 2004, the S40 saloon has become Volvo's third
best-selling model (after the XC90 and V70), representing 17 per cent of Volvo's
total UK sales.